There's something about those musty yellow pages. Most people still prefer the look (and smell) of old-fashioned paper, despite the rise of e-readers. With Microsoft Tag solutions you can connect physical books to digital content that you can change anytime, so it never goes stale – keeping your subject matter current and compelling.
Denver meteorologist Chris Tomer and Dr. Jon Kedrowski, authors of the book Sleeping on the Summits have included QR Codes to extend their story from print to digital. The book chronicles a project never done before. Together Tomer and Kedrowski slept on the summit of all 55 Colorado fourteeners (14,000-foot mountains) from sunset to sunrise in 95 days. All of the QR Codes that are included in the book link to HD video of their adventures depicted in detail in the book. The video below has examples of the video that is included in the book that’s behind the QR Codes.
If you’re looking to use QR Codes in print here’s a couple ideas and tips on what you can do. If you have any questions or need some help brainstorming feel free to reach out to us on Twitter.
- Design Tag barcodes that provide robust content far beyond what a book can hold, adding deeper meaning to each chapter. Tags can link to audio, video, tutorials, podcasts, presentations and PDF files, online discussions, tips and techniques, and more.
- You could add Tag barcodes next to pictures, connecting readers to content that enhances the meaning of the image. You could even include information about how to acquire a print of the image.
- Computer and career books, not to mention textbooks, can quickly become obsolete. Not to worry with Tag's recognition technologies – you can update the content behind it whenever you want, so the book is always up to date.
- You could use the App Download Tag to provide apps to readers, so they can try techniques for themselves – iPhone photo vignettes, anyone?
- Author bios are no longer relegated to the dust jacket – you can give them all the attention they deserve, linking to their websites or a mobile store where readers can buy their other works.
- You could even incorporate Tag barcodes linking to digital advertising as an additional revenue source.